Migrating from a POP server to WebUnlimited Email IMAP using Outlook 2010 – Drag and Drop Method
POP email is typically stored locally on a computer and removed from the mail server after being downloaded by the client. In many cases, this data cannot be migrated with our migration tool when it does not exist on your source mail server. The steps in this article will walk you through performing a manual migration of POP data via Outlook to a WebUnlimited Email account via IMAP.
We’ll accomplish this task by adding your new WebUnlimited Email IMAP account to the same profile that your POP account is on. This change will allow you to easily move all of the locally stored email to your new WebUnlimited Email account.
If you would like to learn more about the differences between POP and IMAP, please see the help topic, IMAP vs. POP.
Before performing the steps below, make sure that mailboxes have already been created on the WebUnlimited environment and that the MX records have been updated so that email is routing correctly to WebUnlimited.
For increased security, we recommend that you use our secure (SSL) servers, as detailed below. If your internal system configurations require non-SSL ports, those settings are available in the article referenced previously, IMAP vs. POP.
- In Outlook 2010 select File > Account Settings.
- To add your IMAP account, click the New button.
- Enter your name and email address, IMAP for the Account Type, “mail.yourdomain.com” for the Incoming and Outgoing mail servers, and your User Name and Password.
- Check th Remember Password box if you don’t want to type your password each time you launch Outlook.
- Click the More Settings button.
- Click on the Outgoing Server tab.
- Check the My Outgoing Server (SMTP) Requires Authentication box.
- Leave the default setting – Use Same Settings as My Incoming Mail Server.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Set the Incoming port to 110 and the Outgoing port to 587, and Enable SSL Encryption.
- Once the settings have been updated, navigate to your Inbox and note that your new IMAP account is listed in the left-hand folder pane. Click on the account to expand the folders. You should see mail items for that account start to appear.
- Now that you have added your WebUnlimited account via IMAP, you can drag and drop emails from your POP Inbox to your IMAP Inbox. As items start moving over, those emails will automatically upload to our server and will be visible across all of your devices that connect via IMAP to that account.NOTE: Depending on the number of emails in your POP account, this process can take a while. You may also consider moving emails over in batches by selecting groups of email messages. Once you’ve confirmed that all emails have moved to the new account, you may remove the configuration for the POP account as it will no longer be needed.
After the change, your email will look similar to the screenshot below.