Top Tips For The Best Website Navigation Ever!
Great navigation is an essential factor in successful website design. It is also one of the most challenging elements of web development that web design services must address to ensure user-friendliness and great website performance. For the best navigation that improves traffic and creates conversions, incorporate these tips into your web design.
- Limit Number of Homepage Menu Links – Too many links in the main navigation menu are bad for both website design efficiency and SEO; it is also confusing to the user. Instead, break up links into seven or fewer main homepage categories, adding more specific sub-categories. This type of website development makes navigation easier to crawl and gives more authority to the main pages. Users respond better with fewer choices at each menu level.
- Order Navigation Links Appropriately – Research by website design services indicates that the prominent links getting the most attention on any navigation menu are those at the top and the bottom. Users have a tendency to ignore links in the middle and they receive less attention. Take advantage of this fact by putting the most important menu links at the top and bottom of your web design.
- Avoid Categorizing by Content Format Type – Similarly, users are also not searching for content according to its format type. They search by topic. You should avoid menu links like “video” and “articles” as these details can always be filtered with tags within the content. Instead, great website design uses a menu that is categorized by topic, product type, etc.
- Use Descriptive Navigation Labels – When labeling navigation links, be descriptive enough to do two things: show users where to specifically look for what they want and attract search engines. In other words, neither the search engines nor users are looking for blanket, generic categories like “solutions” or “products.” Both want to see more specific, keyword-descriptive menu choices and menus with the right categorical links.
- Be Cautious with Dropdown Menus – As popular as they are, website design services are finding that dropdown menus are not as effective as originally thought to be. They are more difficult to crawl, reduce SEO, and can also confuse or disrupt the user based on how they function. Still, the mega-dropdown menu is one option that seems to get good results as it offers users more link choices within a single dropdown element.
- Optimize the Navigation Menu – Optimization is just as important for navigation as it is for other website content. A critical part of website development and design is to optimize based on keywords, navigational structure and function, and analytics. You must monitor the navigation menu and remove links that don’t get attention, change the labels, and find better ways to get more clicks.
- Be Clear on Mobile – The hamburger menu has quickly become iconic for responsive, mobile design as it functional in a small amount of space. Placement is important, so you always position this menu where users are likely to look. Labeling can also improve site performance. Rather than using only the tiny, stacked menu icon that some users may not recognize or find as easily as others, put a label with it to improve usability.
Great navigation can have a significant impact on the effectiveness of your website design when it is properly executed. Web development companies must consider these and other details, then offer you a design that works well for both users and search engines. To achieve the best navigation, always work with experienced website design services!