Website Typography – A Vital Part of Web Design!
The use of typography in visual content is a true art form. Web designers need to be judicious with the style and number of fonts used on a website yet at the same time find the right fonts to aid in the presentation. The best web design company in College Station Texas understands that fonts relay ideas and emotion, not just words. When used well, fonts are just as integral to the design process as layout, color, and other design essentials.
Web Fonts – Then and Now
Web designers used to be severely limited to a few basic text fonts that could be safely displayed the same way across the internet, regardless of viewing screen size. The advent of web fonts has changed this dramatically.
Fonts of all types can now be used with little worry of looking differently on different viewing devices, which is great for designers. Although with all that choice, web design companies in College Station TX know that font overkill can easily happen. So many choices means a designer must really understand how the fonts they choose and typography affect website design and the effect of website content on the viewer.
Typography – Emotional and Intelligent
The art of typography is more than just fonts – it is the feeling they generate when used in certain ways. Experienced web design companies in College Station know that typography should be used with website content to get specific messages across as follows:
Readability – All fonts used on a website must be clearly readable – or the whole purpose of the site is lost. Designers must know the difference between fonts that should be used for large amounts of text and those that are better left for headlines, call-outs, directives, and other shorter yet prominent elements.
Feeling and Meaning – By using feeling behind fonts as part of message delivery, a website can portray its professionalism or fun-loving ideas. This effect is created not only by choosing a certain font “character” but by applying variants – like weight, size, style, and usage – on the page to enable readers to get a deeper understanding of the message.
Following Font Usage Golden Rules
Despite all the artistic freedom available for the use of web design companies in College Station Texas, the golden rules of typography still apply as follows:
- Identity – Fonts must be chosen according to the mood and persona of the brand, website, and image – or the message will be lost.
- Variety – Just as ‘too many cooks spoil the broth,’ using more than three different fonts on a site is confusing. Fonts must complement each other and site content – and in a consistent hierarchy.
- Space Usage – Line spacing, white space, and other less invisible elements that affect how type appears and is read must be examined in order to provide a smooth user experience.
- Device Usage – Designers must consider the type of devices most likely used to access a website, then use fonts that accentuate the message yet are also readable on various devices.
- Visual Contribution – Fonts must be viewed as more than just letters on a page; they are elements that, when combined the right way, create visual, readable typographic art.
Using good website typography is like putting on the right casual or formal wear. When appropriately applied, readers pay attention and get the most from the message. When poorly applied, readers become confused or miss the point. The best web design company in College Station TX knows when it is time to get out the tux and top hat – or if business casual is more appropriate. They use typography to the website’s best advantage!