Learn About Practical Typography For A Website
Typography has existed for many years, originally meaning the process by which actual type was arranged and then used for printing. Over the years, this art has evolved to become a powerful tool in website design. It makes text visible to visitors and puts emphasis on content to appeal to visitors. This is why it is important to find a reputable Texas website designer to create an appealing website.
From picking the right font size to choosing a neat typeface while adjusting the space between letters, these are some of the examples of what must be done when designing a website. For a Texas web designer, these components can be effectively used to deliver a website to readers. Anyone can use typography; only a few know how to use it practically. Therefore, practical typography can be defined as a designer’s ability to manipulate certain aspects of a website within their control.
It is important that information be properly communicated to visitors; however, many web designers do not use typography properly. It may be with an unattractive font; or a bad choice in font size, or lines crowded together, making content not enjoyable or difficult at its worst to read. Such mistakes can be avoided by considering some of the following tips.
- Typeface – Do not worry about picking a commonly used typeface as being uncreative. Delivering legible content is what must be done. Common typefaces are comfortable to readers, making it easier to read the provided information.
- Size – It is easy to decide what size to use for the body of a page; it may be more difficult to decide what will look best for a title or sub-title. Try several different sizes and choose the one that draws the most attention and is best-suited to other parts of the content.
- Pairing – The majority of websites use two different styles of typeface for headlines and body copy. So it is important to choose two types that blend together well and do not clash.
- Hierarchy – Make sure visual hierarchy really stands out. Titles are naturally bigger but don’t always need to be emphasized. To achieve clear visual hierarchy, it is important to know what is most important, whether it be the title, sub-title or content. Be sure to use the right size or outstanding color to emphasize certain text meaning.
- Leading – Leading is the space between the text lines. Implementing this incorrectly can ruin an entire page. The trick is to provide huge leading for larger blocks and tighter leading for smaller text.
- Tracking – The spaces between the text characters are called tracking and issues commonly arise with titles. With letter-spacing, adding 1px or 2px is usually enough; it would be helpful to spend some time practicing with the appearance to see the difference of each effect.
- Contrast – Work with contrast between the text and background color. For example, a white or light background commonly uses black text or another dark shade. Not all content has be in black and white; the point is to provide text and background color with adequate contrast.
- Grid – A grid should be used from the start. Grids give geometric structure and clear balance to a design. Setting text with a grid gives good visual hierarchy and allows for the determination of how large or small a font should be when used for the content.
A Texas website designer is an expert at providing design and content to customers and must possess basic knowledge of practical typography, especially concerning readability for a successful website. Look for a reputable company that provides quality customer service and understands all aspects of website design – especially practical typography!
If You Are Looking For an Outstanding Texas Website Designer – Call Web Unlimited!
If you need a Texas website designer who understands all aspects of website design, call the people at Web Unlimited at (888) 516-0172, who can answer your questions about a design project and provide a website that will rise above all competitors!