Stay Clear of These Elements In Your Website Design Plan!
Web development is as much of an art as it is a science. With the current internet speed and hardware power, there is a lot of ability to incorporate certain design elements into a website; while it does offer many advantages, it can also bring about the demise of a website. In Austin website design, there are certain elements that should be used as well as some that must be avoided, some of which are listed below.
- Animation – It is sometimes thought that by adding animation to a website, visitors will be better attracted to such a display. Contrary to such a belief, most visitors dislike animation. Flashing or flying animation, or whatever else it may be doing, can divert the focus of a user from the visit’s intent. Having animation on an internet page is like watching a movie in a theater with a person up front waving a light everywhere – it is a distraction and should be avoided.
- Sounds – The type of sound produced and a visitor’s control of it defines whether it is a good thing or not. Sound can be a bad element when the user has no control over what is being produced. Some internet pages begin to play the audio portion immediately, which can startle a viewer if that is not expected. Without any audio control, a visitor may very well get annoyed because it is an unnecessary and unwanted addition. If there must be audio, be sure to give visitors readily apparent control over it.
- Pop-Ups – Even though animation is somewhat bothersome, pop-ups are so much worse that they should have never been developed – period. It is a distracting and annoying element that causes a visitor to be disrupted over and over again while visiting a website – and without any control . A pop-up is like having a very pleasant conversation with one person while at the same time, another person continually interrupts the conversation. It is annoying, disconcerting, and should never be used for any reason.
- Text Over Images – Images can be an effective visual element; depending upon the quality of the image, a visitor’s attention can be captured and cause them to stay on the page longer. There is one big negative when using images, namely placing text over the picture. Text and images do not mix as it causes users to have a difficult time understanding the text. When using both images and text, make sure the layout separates the text and image in order for each to be effective.
- Image Size – Another mistake to be avoided when using images is using a large size image. The problem with having a monstrous image size is it takes time to download. As soon as a visitor clicks on a link, only have a small portion of the image will be initially displayed and it may take a few more seconds, possibly even minutes to see the entire picture. Unless the image is meant to be downloaded and printed, simply limit the image size to 320×240 pixels.
- Flash – Another design element to avoid is flash because although is gives certain freedom in expressing creativity, it also has some serious flaws. It loads extremely slowly with regular HTML, especially on computers with a slow internet connection. In addition, websites based on flash have very poor searching capabilities since search engines do not recognize any flash image including its text.
When creating an Austin website design, it is important to carefully choose the right elements. Before making any choices, consideration should be given to the readers perspective and whether a particular element will help improve the browsing experience or have a detrimental effect. Hopefully this article has provided some helpful information about what design elements must be avoided – and why – when creating a business website!
If You Need a Good Austin Website Design Company – Call The Experts At Web Unlimited!
Do you need to find a superior Austin Website Design company? Call Web Unlimited at (888) 516-0172 and you will find people ready to create an excellent website for your business or organization!